Friday, January 11, 2013

Five for Friday!

I am so THANKFUL it is Friday! I am linking up with Doodle Bugs for her FIVE for FRIDAY! Just sharing five random things from this week! 




1) We started our Westward Migration Unit this week! One of my favorite units EVER to teach! I set up the unit as a simulation like a lot of teachers do! The classroom desks are arranged as "wagon trains" circled around a "campfire" and wagon families earn points as they are trying to get to Oregon City. Mrs. Renz has some AMAZING products on TPT to help on this journey! Highly recommend everything she has in her store!  



2) Um..it has been a long week as I had NO VOICE! It started to go on Monday and was completely gone by Monday evening!  Thankfully the voice is coming back...it is Friday after all!

3) One of my students was in Chicago last week and on Monday morning she walked in with this...


a SPRINKLES cupcake!  I love this bakery! What a special treat this was!



4) We have been working hard on prefixes this week! I used a great activity from The Grammarheads! They have written this catchy song called, "The Prefix Kick" and my kiddos LOVE it! I also used Primary Polka Dots, "Flower Pot Prefixes and Suffixes" TPT product. I love this product because it not only makes a great bulletin board, who doesn't love flowers and flower pots, but ALSO you can make a great center with it! I love products that I am able to use in different ways!






5) Today I had the opportunity to attend a Staff Development for Educators conference in Wichita (just about an hour away from me).  I signed up for this conference because Rachelle Smith from What The Teacher Wants was going to be there! I have followed this blog for a couple of years and simply love everything that is posted and I USE just about everything that they post! The chance to actually meet one of my blog heroes was AMAZING! I can't wait to blog about all of the great things I learned...that is all for another post!


Happy Weekend! Make sure you check back at Doodle Bug for everyone's FIVE for FRIDAY!
Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. How exciting that you got to meet Rachelle! What a great way to end the week!

    Karen
    anappleadayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? So much fun! BTW I LOVE your blog design...I never thought of pairing polka dots and apples together...so darn cute! Happy SATURDAY! :)

      Delete
  2. That is so cool that you got to meet Rachelle! I can't wait to read about your experience. I bet is was out of this world!
    -Jaime
    Bright Concepts 4 Teachers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned..plan on writing about the conference this week! It was really great!

      Delete
  3. What a fun surprise from your kiddo! I know you had fun meeting Rachelle - can't wait to hear more about it!

    Abby
    Third Grade Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm your newest follower. I'm glad I found your cute blog. :)
    That's so neat that you met Rachelle. She's so talented!
    Christy
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I am so jealous that you loop! I want to do that so bad! We have one school in our district that loops, but the others do not. I am just not ready to change schools! :)

      Delete
  5. Hey! I just found you through Doodlebugs! I love that you did a wagon train with the desks around the campfire! What a great idea!!

    I always lose my voice at least once a school year! It's rather hard to teach that way but hopefully you'll be rested and re-cooperated by Monday! Take care of yourself! (I love your blog design!)

    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for coming on by! I am so thankful for these linky parties...a great way to meet other teacher friends! A high school gal made my blog...crazy how much more they know about all of this techno stuff! Happy Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Carmen! I found your blog through Kacey's Five For Friday linky. I am your newest follower.
    Teresa
    Confessions of a Teaching Junkie
    Find me on Facebook
    Follow me on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are TOO good to me! AND a SPRINKLE CUPCAKE?!?! What the junk! I want one, too...I mean, five of them. YUMMO!

    Lindsay
    Primary Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW AM I JUST SEEING THIS!!!!!?!??!?! LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete