Friday, February 22, 2013

Spelling City Rocks! Web Site Review

There are so many apps out there and websites that require memberships it is hard to know what are the best ones for my classroom. Last year I came across SPELLING CITY. I used the free version for about three weeks in my classroom and fell in love! I purchased the Premium Membership at a cost of ONLY $49.00! I realize that you might think $49.00 OH MY, but let me tell you all that we have been able to do with our work work through Spelling City! 

 1) Spelling Lists:  I was able to upload ALL of my spelling lists for the ENTIRE year in about a three hour period! For me this was worth the entire $49.00 as I didn't have to worry about spelling lists for the entire school year! 

2) Word Work options are endless! We love Hang Mouse and Word-O-Rama ! There are many other activities that students can do with each of your OWN spelling word lists! Spelling City has also created their own lists! For example if your class is working on "ea words" you can import that list to your Spelling City account and VIOLA you have a whole slew of activities that your students can use (note you didn't have to do anything!)

3) Assignments can be created for the whole class, groups of students, and individual students. This feature allows me to  differentiate the learning my kiddos need, but also do it in a very organized and SIMPLE manner!


4) Spelling Tests! I love doing spelling tests through Spelling City! Reason #1-Students can take as much time as they need! Sometimes I feel that spelling tests are rushed, but in this case students are taking them individual and at their own pace. I have one student that finishes the test in 6 minutes whereas another student takes 16 minutes! Reason #2- The test is graded, RIGHT AWAY and students see their results. I have taught students how to take a screen shot of their test result and they email it to their parents! Reason #3-Save Trees! I think of the amount of weekly spelling tests I have given over my 15 years of teaching and just think of how many trees that is! Transition to using Spelling City is one simple way I can help the environment! (Please note I have just TWO IPADS in my classroom).

I asked my students about Spelling City and here is what they said...

"I like Spelling City because I can use it at home and at school!" 

"Spelling City has fun Word Work games to play!"

"I love HANG MOUSE on Spelling City!"

"I like taking spelling tests on Spelling City!"


I hope you will check out Spelling City! What are some of your GO TO APPS/Web Sites? 


 Photobucket

13 comments:

  1. VocabularySpellingCity is great. Thanks for highlighting it. My students’ favorites games:
    Alphabetical Order, Word Search, Unscramble, Hangman (HangMouse), Crossword Puzzle, and Word-O-Rama Game Show. My favorite game is Word Find although I wish they'd exclude the abbreviations. And I agree the spellingtest is a huge timesaver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog and leaving a comment! :) Oh I forgot to mention the Word-O-Rama Game Show! I love that one as well!

    :) Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved using Spelling City when I taught 3rd grade. It was a great way to provide some support to students at home...especially for students who didn't have parent support. Your blog design is darling!

    Amy
    Happy Teacher Heaven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yes, I agree it really helps with students who don't have parent support! Would you believe that a 16 year old designed my blog? She is a ROCK STAR! :)

      Delete
  4. I used Spelling City when it was free, and I was in the classroom. The kids loved it! Cute blog design!

    Andrea
    Reading Toward the Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andrea! It is STILL free..you just don't get the extras! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. I keep hearing how awesome spelling city is! I will have to go and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tip about Spelling City. This is definitely something I can use. It's great to learn new ideas on other people's blogs! Thanks!
    - Deirdre aka Evil Math Wizard
    Come visit my blog at Evil Math Wizard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by! :) Hope it helps your kiddos! :)

      Delete
  7. I've used spelling city in the past, but now that we don't have "spelling words" only phonics patterns, it made using it a little trickier! I love your blog design! SUPER CUTE! I am your newest follower!

    Leigh
    The Applicious Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and I just stole your button! Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Oooo good point! I might jus email them, it would be helpful it we could import lists that went with phonics patterns...just as a way to play with those patterns! Thanks for the kudos on the blog design...I love it as well! :)

      Delete