Tuesday, March 19, 2013

State Testing Notes of Encouragement!


Encouragement is SO important! As teachers we spend so much time motivating kids that "YES, YOU CAN!"  At  my school we use the 8 Keys of Excellence terminology "THIS IS IT!" which means to make the most of every moment! Last year I must of said "This is It!" to one student EVERY SINGLE DAY as meltdowns occurred, but you know what? This year NOT ONE meltdown! I actually heard him tell another student "Don't forget...This Is It!"

I found out about Kid President from another blogger friend and let me just say .... LOVE!
My third graders LOVE Kid President and especially his PEP TALK video. Have you seen it? Go check it out NOW! (please!)


My students  know the video word for word. I love how they talk about "his fluency and use of interesting word choices," as well as how motivating he is!

With State Testing I knew I wanted to use HIS words of encouragement for my kiddos. I created simple cards with some of Kid President's most famous sayings on them. I cut them out and taped a simple piece of candy on it and placed them on their desks before each test.



I also created some posters of his most famous quotes from "Pep Talk" and hung them around the classroom! 






The kids LOVED the notes! Hopefully they will help you out as well! You can get them HERE! I posted them on TPT as a freebie! 

Good Luck with State Testing!


6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful blog you have - between the banner, your buttons, your signature -- I love it all!

    I am your newest follower and am looking forward to reading your posts :)

    Rae
    Mindful Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I can't take the credit it for it...I met this amazing high school gal who made it for me! She has an amazing eye for design and was able to create just what I wanted!

      Off to check out your blog!

      Thanks so much!
      Carmen

      Delete
  2. It is important to encourage students so that they develop the intrinsic motivation needed to become lifelong learners. I love that your students commented on kid president's fluency! It shows the type of language and honesty you use in your teaching. No need to dumb down our teacher jargon for them!
    Forever A Teacher, Forever A Learner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your lovely comment...it makes me almost want to cry! You are right we don't have to dumb things down for the kids! They get it much faster when we are just HONEST with them...straightforward!

      Thank YOu for stopping by, I am off to check out your blog!
      :) Carmen

      Delete
  3. Hi Carmen! I'm nominating your awesome blog for the Liebster Award. Come on over to my blog to get the rules.

    ✿ Shari
    Keeping It Fresh in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the notes of encouragement. THANK YOU for sharing! :-)
    Michelle
    No Monkey Business

    ReplyDelete