Friday, November 8, 2013

Dia de los Muertos: Day of the Dead

I love, love celebrating holidays from other countries in my classroom. I think there is nothing better than helping students to open their eyes WIDE to the world around them. 

The Day of the Dead, is particularly special holidays to me as I lived in MEXICO for 10 years!

Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. 

We started off by reading this wonderful book!
 
I love this book because it is in English and Spanish! I love any chance I can to speak in Spanish! There is a wonderful Audible version available as well! 

We talked about the similarities and differences between how Americans and Mexicans pay their respects to people who have passed away. 

We also used some wonderful activities from Teachers Pay Teachers! 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Day-of-the-Dead-Informational-Writing-Craftivity-367166

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Day-of-the-Dead-Literacy-and-Writing-Craftivities-157495


We had a blast creating our own CALAVARAS (SKULLS). Calavaras are usually made with sugar and they are used to decorate the graves and altars with during the celebration. We used black paper, chalk, water colors, and crayolas.

 

The High School Spanish students came over and celebrated with us as well! I love, love having the "big" kids come over and help encourage our learning!






We decorated skull cookies, I just love how they turned out! 





Oh and the local paper came out and wrote a great article about our celebration! Gotta love living in a small town!


As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a 
life well used brings happy death.  
~Leonardo da Vinci

Happy Day Friends! 




1 comment:

  1. I love the create your own skull! Such a cool idea :) Thanks for sharing. Hope you can join my linky part. Go check it out :)

    ReplyDelete