Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday Made It Week #3


http://4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com/2014/06/monday-made-it-summer-week-4.html 
I am pretty excited about Monday Made It! I have a love affair with chalkboards! Since we don't really use them in the classroom anymore I love finding ways I can use them in my home! 

When I found out that there is this amazing product called Chalkboard Coating and that I could make a chalkboard in ANY COLOR I was simply FLOORED. When I realized that this is the EASIEST project EVER I was even more excited!



Here is what you need: 

1) What you want to paint!   (11X17 board from Lowes $3.53)

2) Clear Chalkboard Coating (I got mine at Amazon!)  (16 oz bottle for $8.94)

3) Your color choice of paint  (.97 from Wal-Mart)

4) Cheap foam brushes (that I had on hand) 





First step:  PAINT with your color choice. I gave it two quick coats. 

Second step: Use the Chalkboard Coating! I painted first against the grain and then when it dried I painted with the grain. I let it dry for 24 hours. (I only used less than a 1/4 of the bottle, so PLENTY more for additional projects)

Third step: Use a piece of sidewalk chalk to cover the entire chalkboard. From what I understand this helps to prime your chalkboard for great use! After I did that, I cleaned it off with an eraser. 

 
 Final step: Go for it! What do you want to write on your chalkboard? Also did you know that you can SHARPEN chalk so that is easier to write with? I learned that trick a few weeks ago at my cousin's wedding. Just use a pencil sharper! I like to use the ones that have a cap on it to hold all of the shavings! 

I am thinking of the many Christmas gifts I will be making this year! So excited about this! 

Make sure to check out the rest of the Monday Made It projects! 

Blessings, 







4 comments:

  1. I love using chalkboard paint. I used it last year on my writing table. Love your cute sign!

    Rambling About Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chalkboard coating...I have never heard of it. I will look into that. Love the color you chose!
    Jessica
    Wild & Fun in Pre-K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about chalkboard coating...another project to add to my list!

    Brandi
    Swinging for Success
    Follow me on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel a project coming on!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete